Welcome to Year 5!
The Year 5 teachers are Mrs Kadri, Mr Conway and Miss Choudhury and we are also lucky to have Mrs Iqbal and Miss Hall as the year 5 support staff.
Throughout Year 5, we are busy developing the skills that have been developed in Key Stage 1 and Lower Key Stage 2. We are also developing the children’s key skills in Reading, Maths and English in preparation for Year 6. This is to ensure that they are confident and ready for the end of Key Stage 2 assessments, SATs.
Our topics for Year 5 include learning about The Ancient Greeks, The Seven Wonders of the World and The Victorians. In the Autumn Term, the children will have the opportunity to dress up as Ancient Greeks and participate in an Ancient Greeks Workshop at Moseley school, which the children absolutely love as they learn about the lives of the Ancient Greeks through role play, playing Ancient Greek games and even participating in an Ancient Greek research quiz!
The Spring Term in Year 5 is exciting as children study The Seven Wonders of the World. This is a wonderful opportunity for children to further develop their knowledge of the world, in particular their geographical skills.
During the summer term, the children will be studying the Victorians. We will be visiting the Black Country Museum, in order to further explore the lives of the Victorians. This will include looking at how they lived and experiencing what school was like for Victorian children.
Religious Education (RE) at Arden is aimed at developing an understanding of 24 different dispositions, which embrace all religions and recognise the children’s own religious experiences.
To have a successful Year 5, all pupils are encouraged to use ‘Times Table Rockstars’ to help them to practise their times tables and related division facts daily and also to complete their weekly homework related to curriculum learning which their teacher will give them on Fridays, as well as learning their weekly spellings. We would also like to recommend that children read for at least ten minutes daily as this has a significant impact on improving their reading skills.
PE lessons take place on Monday and Friday each week so please remember your PE kit so you don’t miss out!
Find out more about our learning in Year 5:
- Creative Curriculum: Autumn Term
- Creative Curriculum: Spring Term
- Creative Curriculum: Summer Term
- Meet the Teacher Presentation - September 2018
Read about some of the things we've been getting up to:
- Ain't No Mountain Higher - March 2019
- Science Odyssey - March/April 2019
- Romeo and Juliet - November 2018
- Ancient Greeks - October 2018
- Twelfth Night Live Broadcast - March 2018
- Council House Big Debate - March 2018
- Ancient Greek Workshop - December 2017
- Sparkhill Big Debate - December 2017
- French Monsters - November 2017
- Trip to the Coffin Works - July 2017
- Greek Shields - November 2016
- Opportunities to Challenge and Excite - July 2016
- Digismarters Initiative - June 2016
- Space Camp - May 2016
- Victorian Topic - March 2016
- Greek Masks - January 2016
- Heavenly Work - December 2015
- We Love Reading - November 2015
- Ancient Greeks - November 2015
- King Edward VI Summer School - July 2015
- Black Country Museum - April 2015
- Science Week and the Eclipse - March 2015
- Nature Walk - November 2014
- Visit to the Barber Institute of Fine Arts - October 2014
- Numeracy in the Outside Classroom - March 2014
- Sizing Up in Numeracy - March 2014
- Alien Masks in DT - March 2014
- Poetry: The Magic Box - March 2014
Documents above are pdf files.
Working on equivalent fractions.
Explaining our learning.
Learning about Roman numerals.
Bar models and place values.
Have we mastered it?