It will be a very busy year in Reception.
We will be focusing on phonics in order to help children read and write. As a school we use a combination of ‘Jolly Phonics’ and ‘Letters and Sounds’. In these sessions pupils have the opportunity to learn new sounds and apply them to develop their writing and reading skills with the aim that all pupils will be secure in phase three phonics before they leave Reception.
As children progress with their phonics knowledge, it will allow them to access wonderful books that we have in our new Library area. For English, we will be covering many stories and themes. The first story that we will be looking at is ‘Owl Babies’.
In Maths, we will be learning how to count, add, order numbers, measure, sequence and identify shapes. We will be doing this through numerous practical activities as well as recording our maths.
We love to be artistic and imaginative in Reception. We will be designing and making many theme-related creations in line with the stories that we are covering e.g. using different materials to make houses for ‘The Three Little Pigs’.
In the summer, we will be taking the children to Umberslade Farm to widen their experience by exposing them to a different environment and give them the opportunity to handle the animals. This will be followed up by work around what they have experienced.
Find out more about our learning in Reception:
Read about some of the things we've been getting up to:
- Balancing - May 2019
- Growing Wheat - May 2019
- Making Bread - May 2019
- World Autism Awareness Week - April 2019
- Friendship Bracelets - March 2019
- 3D Shapes - March 2019
- The Universe and the Planets - March 2019
- Doubling in Maths - March 2019
- Planting - March 2019
- Science Experiements: Eggs and Light Bulbs - February 2019
- Great Paintings - January 2019
- A Visit to Hatton Country Farm - June 2018
- At the Travel Agents - January 2017
- Lost and Found - January 2017
- Self-Portraits - September 2016
- Gardening in Spring - March 2016
- Easter - March 2016
- Superheroes - January 2016
- Baking Gingerbread Men - December 2015
- Bonfire Night - November 2015
- Eid - September 2015
- Ourselves - September 2014
Documents above are pdf files.
Working with our friendly staff.
Learning is fun.
Working in small groups.
Sharing a book with a friend.
We love our art work.